Monday, December 19, 2011

Waffle Maker




What the heck are you supposed to do with a Waffle Maker anyway? I know the most obvious answer is, "Make waffles?" But how often do you use them to make waffles anyhow? We buy the cheap knockoff Eggo's from Costco and call it good. The kids love waffles and I'm not mixing up batter everyday.

I own one, and recently it got placed in the "Garage Sale" pile that I am making in hopes of actually having a sale next summer. A few days later, I pulled the waffle maker out of the pile because my parents (who gave me the maker when they were done with it) are coming for Christmas and are going to use the waffle maker for the one time this year.

Then I remembered watching an episode of Rachel Ray, where they were asking themselves the same question. They came up with the idea of putting refrigerated pizza dough with some spices into the hot maker and making foccia bread. We tried it and it was good. We added some sauce and cheese and put it on the pizza oven (we have too many kitchen gadgets) and it was pretty good. We then promptly forgot about doing that again, until now.

But back to the original question, what else can you do with a waffle maker? Last night, I got to thinking, "What a great way of making French Toast!" We are going to try making French Toast Waffles tomorrow morning and see how the kids like them. I'm thinking I might be able to sneak *some* healthy in under the egg layer and syrup and the kiddos will never know. I will let you know how it goes.



**UPDATE**
Ok, we made the French Toast Waffles and they were super yummy. We actually made them two days in a row, since we had company for breakfast this morning.

I just took a few eggs and a dash of milk and whisked it together. I dipped the bread in it and threw it into the hot waffle maker until it looked done. It was fabulous.

After telling my mom what my plans for the French Toast Waffles were, she told me that she had seen a show one time that put thawed from frozen, hash brown potatoes that had been pressed between paper towels to remove water, added a dash of olive oil and put them in the hot waffle maker. Yummy, cripsy hash browns in half the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment